Providing electrical services since 1917

Wagner Industrial Electric’s founders started doing business in Ohio in 1917 as The Charles M. Kelso Company. Over the years, we’ve changed names and expanded the services we provide. But what hasn’t changed is our focus on customer satisfaction.

Today, we provide industrial and commercial construction services across the region in a wide variety of markets, including automotive, power, institutional and renewable energy.

Company timeline

1917: The Charles M. Kelso Company is incorporated in Ohio.
1919: Milton H. Wagner left his position as transmission engineer for the Dayton Power and Light Company and joined Kelso, expanding services into the power line industry.
1920: John E. Smith joined the company, expanding electrical contracting services into the commercial, industrial and institutional markets.
1928: The company's name was changed to The Kelso-Wagner Company.
1946: Following Kelso's death, the company changed its name to The Wagner-Smith Company.
1965: The business expanded into 345-kV steel tower transmission line projects, construction more than 500 miles of line over the next several years.
1970s: The company discontinued its services in the utility power line construction industry.

Wagner Industrial Electric, Inc. was formed in May 2006 by merging the industrial electric divisions of two long-standing electrical contractors, Capital Electric Construction Company in Kansas City, Missouri, and The Wagner-Smith Company.